RICS APC candidates must reach level 3 in "Ethics, Rules of Conduct and professionalism". Unfortunately, one or two fundamentally wrong answers in this mandatory competency will lead to a straight referral at the final assessment!
It is not all doom and gloom however! The good news is that the RICS has created a simple "Ethics Decision Tree" which should guide Quantity Surveyors and Cost Managers in their day to day decision making.
Before you make a major decision, you need to ask yourself the following questions:
1. Do you have sufficient facts on the issue?
2. Is it legal?
3. Is it in line with RICS global professional and ethical standards?
4. Have you consulted with appropriate people to make an informed decision?
5. Do you have clear reasoning in reaching your decision?
6. Would you be content for your actions to be made public – in the newspapers or on the internet?
If your answer is YES to all the above, then ACT and then reflect on the outcome!
Do you have your own decision tree? If yes, please share in the comments section!
Source: click below to access the "RICS Ethics Decision Tree"